Don’t avoid garbage disposal repair calls until the last minute, especially with holidays right around the corner. You don’t want to end up with a backed-up sink full of muck or a smelly kitchen when you must cook and entertain guests. The professionals at Able Appliance can help with any garbage disposal repair you might need, and we can help you before the hustle and bustle start!
Avoiding garbage disposal repair before or during the holidays is a matter of being mindful of what you’re putting down the disposal and taking preventive measures. Here are some tips to help you maintain your garbage disposal and prevent holiday-related issues:
· Avoid Overloading – Be cautious not to overload the disposal with too much food waste at once. Instead, feed it in small amounts gradually.
· Avoid Hard and Fibrous Foods – Certain foods such as bones, fruit pits, and fibrous vegetables (celery, potato peels) can damage disposal. Dispose of these items in the trash instead.
· Use Cold Water – Run cold water while operating the disposal and for a few seconds afterward. Cold water helps solidify fats and oils, making it easier for the disposal to grind them up.
· Cut Food into Small Pieces – Before putting food scraps into the disposal, cut them into smaller pieces.
· Avoid Starchy Foods – Starchy foods like pasta and rice can expand when exposed to water, potentially leading to clogs. Dispose of these sparingly and in small quantities.
· Avoid Coffee Grounds – Coffee grounds can create a sludgy substance when mixed with grease, causing blockages.
· Use Citrus Peels – Grinding up citrus peels (lemon or orange) can help freshen the disposal and leave a pleasant scent.
· NO Non-Food Items – Ensure that only food scraps are disposed of. Non-food items, such as utensils, bottle caps, or small objects, can damage the disposal.
· Run It Regularly – Even if you’re not using the disposal frequently, it’s a good idea to run it regularly to prevent rust and corrosion.
· Don’t Pour Grease Down the Drain – Avoid pouring hot grease or oil down the disposal during holiday cooking. Instead, let it cool and solidify in a container, then dispose of it in the trash.
· Clean Your Disposal – Periodically clean the disposal by grinding ice cubes and a small amount of baking soda; this helps remove debris and neutralize odors.
· Use a Drain Screen – Consider using a drain screen or stopper with small holes to catch larger food particles and prevent them from entering the disposal.
· Educate Guests – If you have guests during the holidays, ensure they know how to use the disposal properly and what not to put in it.
· Have a Repair Contact – Issues can still arise despite taking precautions. Have the contact information of a reputable garbage disposal repair company in case you need professional help.
By being mindful of what goes into your garbage disposal, you can reduce the likelihood of needing repairs during the holidays. Prevention is often more manageable and cost-effective than dealing with a malfunctioning disposal amid holiday festivities.
Being in business since 1983, we have been repairing and servicing garbage disposals in the Kansas City area for 40 years! We continue to pride ourselves on our service and technician expertise. We service the Kansas City metro region, including North Kansas City, Liberty, Gladstone, Platte Woods, Weatherby Lake, Independence, Leawood, Prairie Village, Lenexa, Olathe, Overland Park, Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, and many more. We guarantee our work and look forward to being your dependable garbage disposal repair company! Contact Able Appliance today!Tags: able appliance repair, appliance repairs, garbage disposal repair, repairs, service, tips